Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Homemade Rooster Sauce

The news came out last week or so that the Sriracha plant in California is being temporarily closed down by the California Department of Health.  Apparently, the fumes were annoying some of the neighbors, and the sauce is not cooked, only fermented, so it caused some concerns.   One of my Facebook friends posted the recipe and as luck would have it, I was gifted with a very large box of hot peppers that same day. My hubby is a HUGE fan of the sauce, so I thought I would try and make some myself.   I did two batches, one with red jalapenos and the other with green.

I followed the Allrecipes.com recipe for it:

                Ingredients

                        Makes about 1.5 cups

                        1 pound red jalapeno, stems cut off
                        1/2 pound red serrano peppers, stems cut off
                        4 cloves garlic, peeled
                        3 TBS light brown sugar
                        1 TBS kosher salt
                        1/3 cup water
                        1/2 cup distilled white vinegar

                Directions

  1. Chop jalapeno and serrano peppers, retaining seeds and                       membranes, and place into a blender with garlic, brown sugar,             salt, and water. Blend until smooth, pulsing several times to                   start.
  2. Transfer puree into a large glass container such as a large jar or pitcher. Cover container with plastic wrap and place into a cool dark location for 3 to 5 days, stirring once a day. The mixture will begin to bubble and ferment. Scrape down the sides during each stirring. Rewrap after every stirring and return to a cool, dark place until mixture is bubbly.
  3. Pour fermented mixture back into blender with vinegar; blend until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a saucepan, pushing as much of the pulp as possible through the strainer into the sauce. Discard remaining pulp, seeds, and skin left in strainer.
  4. Place saucepan on a burner and bring sauce to a boil, stirring often, until reduced to your desired thickness, 5 to 10 minutes. Skim foam if desired.
  5. Remove saucepan from heat and let sauce cool to room temperature. Sauce will thicken a little when cooled. Transfer sauce to jars or bottles and refrigerate.
I followed the directions exactly and on the second day I found this waiting for me:

 

So glad that I put the dish underneath the jar!

I let it ferment for 4 days, then continued with the recipe.  

Straining the solids out was the longest part of the process:


I bottled them up for Christmas gifts.

 I get my bottles from www.SKS-bottle.com  

I made my own labels, one for each variety:


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment